This TED talk by Dr. Daniel Amen makes a good point. Why are psychiatrists the only doctors who don’t use any form of imaging in making their diagnoses? Dr. Amen discuses a newer form of brain scans that can help psychiatrists treat patients better and more effectively.
- Psychiatrists are the only doctors who “guess” rather than look
- SPECT can visually represent what is going on in the brain
- Behavior is an outflow of a condition, not a condition in itself
- Throwing medication at a problem can cause harm if given in incorrect diagnosis
- We are not stuck with the brain we have, we can improve it on a “brain-smart” program
Here is a SPECT image of Alzheimer’s Disease:
Image Credit: 2014 © Cedars-Sinai. All Rights Reserved. A 501(c)(3) non-profit organization